Tuesday 8 July 2014

Rock of Ages


At Millport yesterday I was struck by how so much changes over years, but rocks I played on as a youngster haven't really changed at all.

I would spend hours clambering over these rocks on a great adventure. Sometimes I'd jump off them into the surrounding water, other times I'd just be looking into the water, hoping to see some crabs or other sea life. 

Yesterday I was back on the island with my own son, and yet the rocks still looked as they did when I was a kid. The same overall shape. Some of the same footholds that I'd used all those years previously to climb up higher. 

Guess that's why we can call God our rock. He doesn't change ever. He's constant. He's faithful. He's powerful. He's solid. He's continually dependable. 

But those Millport rocks aren't indestructible. One day they will break down, be destroyed. They don't stand on their own power. They too are subject, just like the rest of creation, to the mighty creator. He alone is indestructible. 

And yet it is in Christ's destruction that I can have any way of knowing him. He took my place of destruction that I might be lifted to stand firm on the true, solid rock. 

"The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."
Psalm 18:2

'Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
let me hide myself in thee;
let the water and the blood,
from thy wounded side which flowed,
be of sin the double cure;
save from wrath and make me pure.

Not the labors of my hands
can fulfill thy law’s commands;
could my zeal no respite know,
could my tears forever flow,
all for sin could not atone;
thou must save, and thou alone.

Nothing in my hand I bring,
simply to the cross I cling;
naked, come to thee for dress;
helpless, look to thee for grace;
foul, I to the fountain fly;
wash me, Savior, or I die.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
when mine eyes shall close in death,
when I soar to worlds unknown,
see thee on thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
let me hide myself in thee.'

Augustus Toplady


SDG!

No comments:

Post a Comment