Thursday 18 September 2014

Why Yes?


It's the day of the referendum. For me, it's time to vote yes. Why?

Because I don't like the rest of Britain? No. 

Because I'm a bit crazy and love taking risks? No.

Because I think than an independent Scotland will be a beautiful utopia? No. 

Because I think that oil will put meals on tables up and down the country? No. 

Because I've watched Braveheart too many times? No. (Well, a wee bit yes.)

Why then? 

Because I believe Scotland, as a nation, a country rich in many ways, should govern itself entirely? Yes.

Because, while acknowledging the good that came from the empire,  I'm not a fan of imperial Britain and much of what it has done? Yes. 

Because I think that although there may be difficulties, that ultimately independence will prove more fruitful in the long term with new opportunities for arts, business, politics, sports, education and health? Yes.

Because I think that an independent Scotland will have many Gospel opportunities as nominal Christian heritage is left behind? Yes.

Because I hope and pray that an independent Scotland will have a louder voice in the world for good than it does at present? Yes.

So, time to #voteyes. 

But I'm thankful and find comfort in that it is all entirely in the hands of the sovereign creator and sustainer of the entire universe. Whatever happens, God is faithful and just: the dependable rock in the midst of chaos and change. I pray that there will continue to be peace in our land. And I pray continually that the people of Scotland might be woken from slumber by the call of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and be a light to all nations. 

"The earth is the LORD's, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it"
Psalm 24:1 (NIV)

Let's seek mercy and grace for Scotland from the true and living God, in whose hands our nation's future truly lies. 


SDG!

1 comment:

  1. Mòran taing a Pheadair airson nan àrd-mhiannan seo, 's iad air an cur an cèill cho deas-bhriathrach.

    Many thanks Pete for sharing these aspirations, so eloquently affirmed.

    ReplyDelete